The Before Trilogy (Criterion Collection) (Before Sunset, Before Sunrise, Before Midnight) [Blu-ray]
RRP £86.99 £42.00
- Customer Reviews (2)
The cornerstone of the career-long exploration of cinematic time by director
RICHARD LINKLATER (Boyhood), this celebrated three-part romance
captures a relationship as it begins, begins again, deepens, strains, and settles over the course of almost two decades. Chronicling the love of Celine (JULIE DELPY) and Jesse (ETHAN HAWKE), from their first meeting as idealistic twentysomethings to the disillusionment they face together in middle
age, The Before Trilogy also serves as a document of a boundary-pushing and extraordinarily intimate collaboration between director and actors, as Delpy
and Hawke, who cowrote two of the films, imbue their characters with a sense of raw, lived-in experience, and as they age on-screen along with them.
An exquisitely understated ode to the thrill of romantic possibility, the inaugural instalment of The Before Trilogy opens with a chance encounter between two solitary young strangers. After they hit it off on a train bound for Vienna, the Paris university student Celine and the scrappy American tourist Jesse impulsively decide to spend a day together before he returns to the U.S. the next morning. As the pair roam the streets of the stately city, Linklater’s tenderly observant gaze captures the uncertainty and intoxication of young love, from the first awkward stirrings of attraction to the hopeful promise that Celine and Jesse make upon their inevitable parting.
In the breathtaking follow-up to Before Sunrise, Celine tracks down Jesse, now a newly minted author, at the tail end of his book tour in Paris, with only a few hours left before his flight back home to the States. Meeting almost a decade after their short-lived romance in Vienna, the pair find their chemistry rekindled by increasingly candid exchanges about professional setbacks, marital disappointments, and the compromises of adulthood. Impelled by an urgent sense of the transience of human connection, Before Sunset remains Linklater’s most seductive experiment with time’s inexorable passage and the way love can seem to stop it in its tracks.
The bittersweet conclusion of The Before Trilogy finds Celine and Jesse several years into a relationship and in the midst of a sun-dappled Greek retreat with their twin daughters and a group of friends. The couple soon find their vacation upended, however, by the aggravations of committed monogamy, which have long since supplanted the initial jolt of their mutual seduction. Marked by the emotional depth, piercing wit, and conversational exuberance that Linklater and his actors had honed over two decades of abiding with these characters, Before Midnight grapples with the complexities of long-term intimacy, and asks what becomes of love when it no longer has recourse to past illusions.
DIRECTOR APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New, restored 2K digital transfers of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and a 2K digital master of Before Midnight, approved by director Richard Linklater, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Before Sunrise Blu-ray and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Before Sunset and Before Midnight Blu-rays
• New discussion featuring Linklater and actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, moderated by critic Kent Jones
• Behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the productions of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
• Audio commentary on Before Midnight by Delpy, Linklater, and Hawke
• Dream Is Destiny, a 2016 feature-length documentary about Linklater by Louis Black and Karen Bernstein
• New documentary about the making of Before Midnight in Greece by filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari
• 3x2, a new conversation between scholars Dave Johnson and Rob Stone about Linklater’s work
• Linklater // On Cinema & Time, a video essay by filmmaker “:: kogonada”
• PLUS: An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim
|Actor||Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, Karl Bruckschwaiger, Tex Rubinowitz, Erni Mangold, Dominik Castell, Haymon Maria Buttinger, Rodolphe Pauly, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick, Xenia Kalogeropoulou, Yannis Papadopoulos, Jennifer Prior, Andrea Eckert, Vernon Dobtcheff, Walter Lassally, Hanno Poschl, Louise Lemoine Torres|
|Studio Description||Sony Pictures|
|Running Time (mins)||290|
|Extras||Language(s): English|Interactive Menu|5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio Mono Behind the Scenes|Bonus Footage|Commentary: 'Before Midnight': Richard Linklater (director), Julie Delpy (actor), Ethan Hawke (actor)|Documentaries: 'Dream Is Destiny' (2016), '3x2', 'Linklater // On Cinema & Time'|Interviews: Richard Linklater (director), Julie Delpy (actor), Ethan Hawke (actor)|Making of Documentary|An essay on the trilogy by critic Dennis Lim|
Delivery Options in
the United Kingdom
Your delivery options vary, depending on what you’re ordering. Standard UK delivery is always FREE over £30. Delivery costs are calculated at basket. Your options are:
- Our standard delivery is via second class post. This option takes 3-5 working days once the product is despatched from our warehouse
- 1st Class delivery is available. If you place your order before 12:00, it should only take 1-2 working days.
- If you're feeling particularly eager to get your order as soon as possible, Next Business Day delivery is also available. Again - provided the order is placed prior to 12:00. Please note that this service is only available Monday to Thursday. Any orders placed between 12:00 Thursday and 12:00 Friday will be delivered on the Monday following the weekend.
- Lastly, please note, if the value of the items in your order when despatched exceeds £50 in value, we will upgrade your delivery to the next business day free of charge to allow you to track your order.
Please note that any orders placed after 12:00 on a Friday will not be despatched until the following Monday and therefore delivered on the Tuesday.
Delivery Outside of the United Kingdom
We ship almost our entire range of products to all countries in the European Union. The only exception to this is our hardware bundles. If you place an order for a hardware bundle for delivery outside of the UK your order will be cancelled. We're not being grouches, as they're such high value items we want to make sure that they're delivered in the most safest and most efficient way. We're working on a tracked postage solution for you and hope to resolve this as soon as possible, stay tuned!
For European Delivery, we can offer you a standard 3-6 day delivery window, starting from the very moment that the goods are despatched.
Please note that all delivery times are subject to courier company. European delivery rates will be calculated at basket depending on where you are and what you’re buying.
- For Standard UK delivery 3-5 working days for deliveries within the UK once goods are despatched. If it does happen - on the off chance - to take any longer than this time period to reach you, Royal Mail policy requests we wait 10 working days to pass before classifying an item as "lost".
- 1st Class UK delivery: 1-2 working days once goods are despatched provided orders are placed prior to 12:00 (see above).
- Next Day UK delivery: next day delivery as long as orders are placed by 12:00 Monday to Thursday only.
- Standard Delivery to all other European Union Countries should take 3-6 working days once goods are despatched provided orders are placed prior to 12:00.
To give you some peace of mind, we'll be sure to send you an email to let you know when each item is on its way. Pre-orders placed with other items will be despatched separately prior to release day.
In the event that you have ordered products which will not fit through your letterbox, (and you aren't in to take delivery) then the postal service will follow their usual procedure. For UK orders this usually means a card is left to notify you of an attempted delivery and the item will be held at your local sorting office. For items attempted for delivery by a courier service they will also leave a card and allow you to arrange for redelivery or collection.
If you've got any more burning questions regarding our delivery options, you can contact our customer services at firstname.lastname@example.org. You'll be able to catch them Monday to Friday between the hours 8:30-17:30.
If you live within the UK are unhappy with your purchase you can return it to us within 28 days of the item being despatched to you for a full refund*. (*If you are buying products from us in bulk to sell on for your own commercial purposes we
reserve the right to refuse returns or issue a refund). Please note that DVDs and Blu-rays that have been opened or have had their shrink-wrap removed are not eligible for return.
PLEASE BE AWARE WE DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS FROM EU COUNTRIES OUTSIDE THE UK FOR GOODS NO LONGER REQUIRED IF THEY ARE NOT FAULTY UNLESS THE COST OF RETURN IS PAID FOR BY THE CUSTOMER RETURNING IT.
Q | I have received my item but I no longer require it?
If you're unhappy with your purchase you can return it to us within 28 days of the item being despatched to you in order to get a full refund. Please note that DVDs and Blu-rays that have been opened or have had their shrink-wrap removed are not eligible for return. Clothing returns must be unworn and still have the tags attached.
Q | I have received an item that I didn’t order? What's going on!
Apologies, our mistake! You can return the item to us within 28 days of the item being despatched to you for a full refund.
Q | I've received my item, but it's damaged/faulty. What do I do?
If your item has reached you in a damaged condition or is faulty in any way, then we'll endeavour to put this right as soon as possible. We can either by send out a replacement item to you or refund your account. If we ask that the item be returned to us, then our lovely Customer Service team will proved you with the returns address and a unique Returns Aushorisation (RA) number. In this highly unlikely event that your order is received damaged or faulty, all you need to do is contact us within 28 days of the item being dispatched to you and we will provide you with the relevant returns information
Q | How do I return an item?
To arrange a return, please just contact us and we will be more than happy to arrange this for you. All you need to tell us is which item you wish to return and the reason why. We'll then issue you with the Returns address - specific to that item - along with your unique Returns Authorisation (RA) number.
Q | When will I receive my refund/replacement?
We will process your refund/replacement as soon as your item is received back into our warehouse. Replacements are subject to availability and, if the replacement is not available a refund will be given instead.
Q | If I live outside the UK and have a faulty product can I return it?
Please email us at email@example.com to explain the issue. We can then sort out the best way we can offer you a replacement.
Here at Zoom we want you to be 100% happy with your purchase, meaning we'll do everything we possibly can to make sure you are. If you'd like to return a product to us, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org